Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Prayer for Priests — Novena Day 1



I decided there would be no better time than today to begin a novena for priests. I've had the Magnificat Year for Priests companion sitting in my book basket for at least a few months...



Won't you join me? Drop me a comment to let me know that you're participating in this spiritual effort, and if you have your own prayer source, do share it with us!



I will try to share a portion of the Magnificat Novena each day...

A Prayer to the Mother of God for Priests by St. Charles Borromeo

O Holy Mother of God, pray for the priests you Son has chosen to serve the Church. Help them, by you intercession, to be holy, zealous, and chaste. Make them models of virtue in the service of God's people. Help them be pious in mediation, efficacious in preaching, and zealous in the daily offering of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Help them administer the Sacraments with love and joy. Amen.

You can learn more about the wonderful Magnificat booklet here (it's only $3.95, and I found mine free at a nearby parish), or there is a beautiful prayer from EWTN here.


"How great is the priest!
He will only rightly understand himself in heaven.
To understand the priesthood on earth
would make one die, not of fear, but of love.
The priesthood is the heart of the love of Jesus."
(St. John Marie Vianney, Cure of Ars)

No comments: