Friday, September 26, 2008

In Theaters Now: Fireproof


I have been thrilled about this movie ever since I first heard of it weeks ago.

In an age when marriage is so undermined, belittled, and devalued, a portrayal of faithfulness is a true breath of fresh air.

It got even better tonight when I read the most marvelous article about lead actor Kirk Cameron. This guy is the real thing: not only does he star in a movie upholding marriage, but he absolutely and totally lives it. In Hollywood, that is rarer than a poor celebrity! Mr. Cameron is married 17 years, the father of six children (four of whom are adopted), and — get this — will only kiss his wife. Even on screen. I think that is just the greatest thing...seriously, I got delightful shivers up my back just reading it. We're talking the genuine article here, folks!

Of course, that wonderful personal commitment of his leaves us all wondering how on earth they shot a kissing scene in a movie like Fireproof, which (obviously) has to have one. Simple: it's him and his real wife. “So when I’m kissing my wife, we’re actually husband and wife honoring marriage behind the scenes,” Kirk explains. So beautiful.

I'm excited to have learned all this before seeing the movie... it will only make it more meaningful when I do! And now, what are you waiting for?

- Visit the official website (and enjoy a both tearful and humorus trailer!)

- Read an interview with the Fireproof Cast on Focus on the Family's CitizenLink

- Read MSNBC's article "Kirk Cameron: I'll Only Kiss My Wife" (watch the video interview too!)

And most importantly, plan a real movie into your weekend!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Yes, I read that awesome article the other day and I just wanted to applaud him because he sure is of the rarest there in Hollywood who wouldn't cheat on his wife for what? Money? Thank God! I hope He uses Kirk in a mighty way for Hollywood...to wake the rest of them out of their slumber.

And to be married 17 years...in Hollywood? Wow! Most actors and actresses trade out husbands and wives like underware!

I really want to go see this movie now, but my hubby really, really, really, wants to go see Dark Knight something or other.

Maybe I will just wait for the DVD. Lot better than a crowded theater anyday. :)

Weekend blessings,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I just got back from watching Fireproof... it was great to see such a different-flavored movie on the regular, big screen