Sunday, November 16, 2008

Life is Fragile

Quite a lot has happened over the past few weeks. Most significantly, a heartbreaking accident which took the life of my friend and fellow Suzuki violin teacher, Amanda Jahn, along with her two young children. All three were killed when a drunk driver blew a stop sign and hit them last Thursday night. At our Suzuki string group concert rehearsal just a few hours before, Mandy and I were playing violin together, and even joking about our paychecks. I received a tearful phone call at 7:30 the next morning with the tragic news.

One hears of these kinds of tragedies from time to time, but it is so very different when the victim is someone you know. It's a gripping wake-up call to live each day as if it were your last, and not to take one's family for granted. Many of us can't imagine the grief of the young husband and father who lost his entire family in one night. But he is a man of strong faith, which is carrying him through this great loss.

According to the news article in our local paper, Josh spoke with Mandy over the phone just minutes before the crash, and told her he loved her. They said goodbye thinking they'd be reunited within twenty minutes. How treasured that phone call and those final loving words must be to Josh now.

Indeed, life is fragile. It is also precious. Do we live each day as if it were our last? Give your spouse, parent, or sibling a hug today...we never know how long we have left with them.

5 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

I am devastated to read this. It is unspeakably horrible.

Praying for the repose of the soul of your friend and her children--and comfort for her husband. I cannot even imagine the depth of his sadness.

Clare said...

I'm so sorry, Claire. I'll be praying.

LeneJ said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Know that you will meet her again in Heaven.

Warren said...

My then six year old son was in a car accident last year, his mother drove through a red light, and the car was struck from the side. He was okay, just bruised, but the driver of the other car was quite badly hurt. I don't think I could bear such a loss. My heart goes out to this poor man.

Warren

Kathryn Judson said...

Dear Claire, I went across and read the newspaper article about the funeral. What a lovely, loving, beautiful family (and how rare it is to find a newspaper that will open up to share such stories of strong faith and love - good for them). Please know that you and Amanda's other friends and loved ones are in my prayers.