Friday, October 12, 2007

"Lord, Grant Me... the Courage to Change"

Many of us would recognize those words from the "Serenity Prayer". Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

How I love that word: serenity. Dictionary.com defines it as "the state or quality of being serene, calm, or tranquil; sereneness".

Serenity. Tranquility. Peace. Even the very words seem to caress gently, to give an aura of what they imply. This morning, my confessor spoke to me at length about "finding peace". After some of what I've been through and struggled with the past few weeks, his direction in that healing Sacrament was so perfect this morning. (The Holy Spirit is a Master at that, you know? I can't tell you how many times the advice given me in Confession is exactly the balm, or challenge, or admonition I needed at that moment.)

My penance was to meditate on the words Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. And oh, what a mediation those can be.

Lord ...Master, Teacher, Redeemer
make me ...transform, cleanse, create, purify me to become
an instrument ...one who gives forth beauty when placed in Your Hands
of Your peace ...to offer Your greatest gifts to the world.

Father pointed out beautifully the somewhat painful change all around us this season: trees letting go of their vibrant leaves, in order to go through a season of cold and healing in preparation for new and more fruitful growth. Immediately a quote sprang into my mind -- one posted on the sign outside a church a few blocks from our house --

When you are reluctant to change, think of the beauty of Autumn.

The Lord has been doing some pruning on me lately; He's showing me that I need to let go of some of my leaves to allow for new growth later. I may be reluctant to let them go, vibrant as they are. But if I trust enough, Spring, with all its glorious freshness and the burst of new life, will come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claire,
Your thoughts and quotes are such an inspiration to me! I liked the quote, "When you are reluctent to change, think of the beauty of Autumn." Thank you for keeping up this blog.
God bless,
Vicki M.

Claire said...

Thank you, Vicki! Your affirmation means a lot!

Peace,
Claire

Anonymous said...

Claire,
This is my first time visiting the site and I am so glad the Holy Spirit lead me here. A lot has been going on and I need insite to make the right choice concerning a very important matter. The quote about Autumn is my answer! I was looking for the prayer of serenity because I had forgotten the words.
I wanted to say it during my prayer time as my confession to God and I got so much more! Please continue to let your light shine!!!!!!!
With a Grateful Heart MH

Claire said...

Dear MH,
Praise God that you received encouragement from this post! And welcome! I regret that I'm not near as active here as I used to be, but if my thoughts and reflections can bless any soul at any time, I am grateful.

In Him,
Claire