Friday, August 17, 2007

The Master Baker


...or the One Who can bring beauty from brokenness, life from ashes, healing from frailty, strength from weakness. We received the following in an email today, and it reminded me of a similar post I wrote last year: Theology and Cake.

Sometimes we wonder, "What did I do to deserve this?" or "Why did God have to do this to me?" Here is a wonderful explanation!

A daughter is telling her mother how everything is going wrong: she's failing algebra; her boyfriend broke up with her and her best friend is moving away. Meanwhile, her Mother is baking a cake and asks her daughter if she would like a snack, and the daughter says, "Absolutely, Mom, I love your cake."

"Here, have some cooking oil," her Mother offers.

"Yuck," says her daughter.

"How about a couple raw eggs?"

"Gross, Mom!"

"Would you like some flour then? Or maybe baking soda?"

"Mom, those are all yucky!"

To which the mother replies: "Yes, all those things seem bad by themselves. But when they are put together in the right way, they make a wonderfully delicious cake! God works the same way. Many times we wonder why He would let us go through such bad and difficult times. But God knows that when He puts these things all in His order, they always work for good! We just have to trust Him and, eventually, they will all make something wonderful!"

Let us continue learning to trust Him!

4 comments:

Clare said...

Hello Claire,
I've just come across your lovely blog! Do you speak spanish? I just noticed that you have used some spanish words in you post below! At the moment, I'm just teaching myself some spanish words.
Blessings,
Clare

Claire said...

Clare: How fun -- a visitor with my name! :) How about I'll say I'm trying to speak Spanish. ;) I have studied it both independently, with a tutor and last semester, in a course at our community college, so I am partially fluent (is that an oxymoron?). There are so many times when I wish I was already proficient in it, though!

Thanks for visiting!

Peace in Christ,
Claire

Clare said...

Yes, I too think it's quite unique that we have the same name! (Different spellings, Clare is the European way to spell it :)
I am teaching myself Spanish, Through an internet based program. It's quite helpful, but it's hard to know if you're pronunciation is correct.

Thank you for your lovely comment on my site. I think it great to be able to 'meet' other women who desire to have more grace and elegance in their life...

Adios,
Clare

Claire said...

Hola Clare! You know, what's a little frustrating for me is that I don't have a "Spanish" keyboard. ;) In other words, whenever I want to write en Espanol, I have to insert all kinds of "symbols" to get the correct accents, etc. in place (such as in "Espanol"... it's really "en-ye" with the curl above the n, but at the moment I don't have the time to go to Word and get the symbol! And the upside-down exclamation points and question-marks, too).

Hmmm, maybe we should have a little Spanish dialogue... =)

Encantada, Clara! (Our name is the same in Spanish) :)

Entonces usted estudia Espanol tambien... que bueno!

Debemos escribir en Espanol, y practicamos esta idioma. :) Me gusto hablar una otra idioma, pero quiero saber como hablarlo completamente!.

(I'm not sure how correct that last sentence is, and again, it's missing a bunch of accents, and upside-down puncuations, so hopefully it makes sense! If you read this and can understand any of it, let me know!)

Happy Sunday!
Claire

P.S. About pronunciation, the best advice I can offer is try to find a Spanish-speaking (native) friend to speak with! I've been told my accent is quite accurate, and I can only attribute it to the fact that I totally an opportunist about using the Spanish I know. A big thing is: don't be afraid to use it, speak it, make mistakes, and be corrected! And besides, most Hispanics or Latinos love it when you speak to them in their native language, even if you only know a little. :)